European Roulette is among the most popular casino games on the planet. Millions of people worldwide enjoy this game every year but few have a true understanding of the odds and how to maximize their chances of winning big. While nothing is guaranteed in a casino setting there are a number of things that you can do in order to boost your earnings over the long term. This game is played from Macau to Las Vegas and across the world online so having a good understanding of it is imperative.
European roulette has been the star of many casinos for a long time now. Compared with other roulette variants, European roulette remains as the top pick of roulette players because it offers better odds and goes by easier rules. In addition, its element of chance delivers anticipation, entertainment, and rewarding profit with a single spin! Learn how to play this exciting european roulette game through this tutorial.
European Roulette 4 Basic Concept
European roulette is a very straightforward game to play. Despite all the accoutrement that comes with the game like the chips, table, and wheel, there’s not much to it. Players simply choose in which numbered slot they think the spinning ball in the wheel will land. They choose a number or a range of numbers by placing their bets on a particular position on the roulette table. As you can see in the image below, the European Roulette wheel layout is pretty much the standard layout of roulette that you’ll encounter almost anywhere.
1. Single Zero European Roulette Wheel
The betting field, or the layout, consists of two basic areas: inside and outside. The inside portion of the layout contains all of the individual numbers from 0 to 36, arranged in columns. The outside part of the layout contains combinations of colors and numbers in groups. Even odds bet are High/Low, Red/Black or Even/Odd.
European roulette uses the same types of casino chips you would find in a card game. So when playing Euro-roulette, keep track of where your chips are on the table. Or play European roulette online; the computer tracks your bets for you.
2. European Roulette Odds
European roulette offers better odds than its American counterpart does. Both kinds share the same basic rules, except the latter has an additional pocket of double zero. This single-pocket difference significantly affects the odds of the two variants. European roulette offers better winning odds of 1 in 37 and a lower house edge of 2.7%. The odds of winning in American roulette stand at 1 in 38 and the house edge is 5.26%, which is higher compared with that of its European counterpart that uses only a single zero.
European roulette bets can be inside or outside ones. The first ones include all the bets on one or several numbers, second ones – on groups of numbers. Some variations also include a separate field for oral orders (called track), which came to European roulette from the French one.
3. Choose Bets Numbers
Before placing your chips, you can choose whether to make inside or outside bets. Outside bets have lower payouts but better odds of winning, while inside bets have higher payouts but a lower probability of winning. Check out the difference between the two below.
- Straight up bet: This entails betting on a single number - 35:1
- Split bet (adjacent vertically or horizontally): This is when you place a bet on two adjacent numbers like 35 and 36 - 17:1
- Street bet: This bet contains any three numbers in a horizontal line like 19, 20, 21 or 1, 2, 3 - 11:1
- Corner bet: With this option, you are betting on four numbers with a joint corner or in a square layout like 19, 20, 22, and 23 - 8:1
- Line bet: This includes six numbers on two adjacent lines - 5:1.
European roulette payouts on outside bets are much lower, but the chance of winning here is much higher. You can bet on:
- Column bets: columns of 12 numbers (1st: numbers 1-34 ;2nd: 2-35; 3rd: 3-36) with a payout of 2:1
- Dozen bets: dozens (numbers 1-12, 13-24 or 25-36) with the same payout of 2:1
- Red or Black bets: With this option, you are betting on red or black pockets - rewarded 1:1;
- Even or Odd bets: This bet involves placing your bet on even or odd numbers - 1:1;
- Low or High bets: These are bets on numbers 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 - 1:1.
- The last three are also called equal chances bet.
- Zero spiel – covers the zero and three numbers on its sides, four chips are placed altogether;
- Number with neighbours – a chosen number and two adjacent numbers on the roght and on the left are covered with five chips;
- large series (bet on 17 numbers - 0, 2, 3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 35, 9 chips used
- small series - 6 chips block the 8 numbers opposite zero - 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 23, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36;
- Orphelin - overlapping numbers that would not be used in large and small series - 8 numbers, 5 chips.
When you win, your prize depends on the type of wager you pick. Keep in mind that bets with a smaller range of numbers offer bigger winnings because they are more elusive. This explains why straight up bets have higher payouts compared with line bets.
4. Place Your Chips
Once you have picked your bet, place your chips on your chosen number or set of numbers. The croupier will spin the wheel, drop the ball, and wait for the result. You are not allowed to remove your chips or change your bets thereafter.
When a winning number is identified, the croupier will collect all losing bets and reward all the winning wagers. After the payout process, you can place your bets in the next round. Take note that some online casinos let you play games using bonuses. Make sure to take advantage of your bonuses and incentives for a more rewarding betting experience.
European Roulette 4 Strategy and Tips
As you might have guessed, there’s little one can do to affect the outcome of a spin of the roulette wheel. The best advice you can get in a game of roulette is to spread your bets and not play risky inside bets too often. Your best chances are always with outside bets and, although inside bets come with better rewards, if you want to stay in the game for the long haul you’d be well advised to at least balance out your bets between high-risk inside bets and low-risk outside bets. That’s what a good European Roulette strategy comes down to. There’s a good reason for the low payout on outside bets – you’re more likely to land them.
1. European Roulette Bankroll Management
All of the most important European roulette tips and tricks are intended to preserve the player's budget at its highest level. So the first rule is about this. Before the start of each game set a specific sum of money, after reaching which you will be ready to end the game session. This applies to both the winning amount and the amount of loss. It is difficult to give advice on specific amounts in this case, because someone can spend all night playing with 19 dollars, whereas another one prefers to bet 50 dollars at each round. It is important to choose an amount which you yourself are comfortable with.
Is it not recommended to place bets on a single number - the odds of winning here are way too small. Some people like to choose their "lucky number" - birthday, wedding, birth of children etc. and bet on it. In this case, for those who like to take risks, it is recommended to split the bankroll 25% and 75%. Use the first one to make these risky intuitive bets, and the rest of the money for safer outside bets.
It is also important not to include in the received game winnings for subsequent bets on this day. If you have had big luck on your side, it is better you set that amount aside, and do not even try to take money out of it to increase the current gain. The money gained should be withdrawn or planned for another day’s game budget.
2. Set Yourself Limits
Always set yourself a definite limit that you will not pass when your wagering your money. Make sure that you bet with an amount that you can afford to lose if you hit an unlucky streak, and don't go over the limits you set yourself for each session.
At the end of the day, you can't lose any more than you're comfortable with if you control yourself. If nothing else, gambling is a good test of your own discipline, and it strengthens when you stick to it.
3. European Roulette Winning Tips
While the European variety of roulette is the most beneficial in terms of rules, the player advantages still aren’t guaranteed.
- Be aware of the house edge. You have greater chances to win at a European roulette wheel (2.7%) than at the American roulette iteration (5.26%) that introduces the additional 00 sector.
- Sucker bets are bets that offer the highest payouts and the highest chances of losing, such as a straight (single-number) bet. They’re not the best European roulette strategy because you have to overcome the odds of up to 38:1 to win.
- There are no fool-proof winning systems. The roulette gameplay is completely random. Past results do not affect what you get in the future, so it’s impossible to base your strategy on predicting the probability.
- Avoid committing to a single bet. Try choosing a simple bet with good odds (such as red/black) and backing it up with another wager (such as a column bet).
4. Avoid Novelty Games with Fewer Numbers
In general, we’d recommend you steer clear of what we call “novelty” roulette games like Mini Roulette and Double Spin Bonus roulette. Generally speaking, the more pockets that are on the wheel that are not red or black, the worse your odds. Or the less red or black pockets there are, the worse off you are. So mini roulette has 12 numbers versus 36 in a standard european roulette wheel.So 7.7% of the area of the wheel is taken up by the zero pocket, versus 2.7% in european roulette. Which means that there is a greater chance that the ball will drop in to the zero pocket. Do you notice anything familiar with the percentages? These are equal to the house edge, so mini roulette has a much bigger house advantage.
European Roulette tricks tend to be pretty self-evident to most seasoned gamblers. Even if you are a gaming newbie you should not feel scared to play around with your bets. A lucky bet can mean the difference between winning and losing. One of the most fun things about roulette is the fact that there are so many different bets that you can make. It is also one of the games in a casino where you can get the highest edge versus the house and that is worth fighting for.
Follow these strategy and tips to help you win at European roulette, whether you play online roulette casino. Just be sure to understand the rules of the game, don’t bet all your money on a half-baked system, and most importantly: good luck and have fun!